Saturday, November 3, 2012

Is the sound of music going through your head?

Well it looks like blogger isn't going to give me back my old blog....I can't get a hold of a human to talk to so I guess it just means I should continue on with this one instead. No sense to fret about what you lost or don't have.  You can check out my facebook page if you want to see all my crafty stuff here. https://www.facebook.com/AtoushkasCreativeThings?fref=ts



I can't believe how some days can be so bad and then other days so good. It makes a big difference what frame of mind you are in. If all your thoughts are negative all the time, chances are you are miserable. Sometimes I get that way when I'm in a lot of pain. Having Fibromyalgia since 2003 after a car accident that hurt my neck after someone rear-ended me at a stoplight and a bladder disease called interstitial cystitis which is the lining of the bladder that cracks and bleeds and is very painful since 1987 and having been in another bad car accident (head on collision) on the highway in June 1990 and had both feet shattered with a severe blow to the head resulting in my chin being split wide open from the steering wheel and then most recently someone rear-ended me at a yield sign (yeah I know, I must have a sign bearing the word "sucker" on it lol) where I got a whip lash to my neck again and now arthritis has set in most of the joints of my body. So I have pain and lots of it and there is not too much I can do about that when it decides to flare(flare is a period of time when the pain gets really bad for whatever reason, a lot of time the weather plays a big part in it) and I don't get much sleep for weeks, it is hard on the body!!!
Sometimes it is harder to control your emotions, thoughts and whims when you are in this frame of mind. Like one of my whims is chocolate ice cream and when I get in a lot of pain for a long time I want my ice cream!!! lol
  When you live with pain you don't get those "feel good" emotions like normal people do until you get a day that you actually do feel good and then it's look out world here I come!!! You run around going crazy trying to get everything done before you have another bad day!!! and then you get a bad day because you overdid it the day before!!! I used to do that but now I am trying to discipline myself to say the heck with it, if something is not done I am not going to stress about it,especially housework. It will get done eventually, maybe not as quickly as some people would think it should be done but they can help out if it bothers them that much!!! hahaha, And I don't see many hands going up!
Sometimes we judge people too quickly, and if we would just let things go and give someone the benefit of the doubt, things would go alot smoother. We should always try to "wonder, ponder, think about" what is going on in a persons life...and I'm not saying be nosy here, I'm just saying THINK, maybe someone is not feeling well, maybe they are having a hard day, maybe they are grieving about something and are depressed, there is so many different things someone could be going through and I believe we have become or are calloused(thick skinned,hardened heart) to it and if something doesn't look just right to us, we judge it without knowing the truth and even if we know the truth, sometimes we don't understand it and we still judge just because we don't understand. I try to put myself in someone else's shoes to see if I might understand better and a lot of times that helps, I try to picture myself and what I would be feeling and how other people would treat me and most of the time I get insights that I had never even thought about before and then I have compassion for that person.
 I think we are way too hard on people that aren't exactly like us. We are such selfish people, always wanting what we want. Thinking we know it all, our way is the best. Just think about it, if everyone was like you, wouldn't the world really be a better place??? NOT!! You are kidding yourself!!! lol  But seriously, we are like that if you really think about it, we like things to go our way all the time.
Getting back to our negative thoughts, sometimes being in a lot of pain be it physical or emotional we can easily get into a rut of negativity. There was a time in my life as a young lady, that I became really depressed and I couldn't shake it and I didn't know why.
 My mother and I used to watch this movie every year called
 "The sound of music"
It was one of my favorite movies as a young girl because it was something my mother and I always did together, anyway there is a song in the movie that goes like this. 

Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Bright copper kettles and warm woolen mittens
Brown paper packages tied up with strings
These are a few of my favorite things

Cream colored ponies and crisp apple streudels
Doorbells and sleigh bells and schnitzel with noodles
Wild geese that fly with the moon on their wings
These are a few of my favorite things

Girls in white dresses with blue satin sashes
Snowflakes that stay on my nose and eyelashes
Silver white winters that melt into springs
These are a few of my favorite things

"When the dog bites
When the bee stings
When I'm feeling sad
I simply remember my favorite things
And then I don't feel so bad"


I wondered if this really worked and so I decided to give it a go, I mean after all if it worked for Julie Andrews why wouldn't it work for me!?
So I sang the song to myself every night and I really thought about those nice things....the beauty of a silver white winter. Girls in beautiful dresses...and whatever else that would please me to think about....... and as I was doing that I noticed that the thoughts that were trying to come in and that I had been thinking about were not good ones at all, they were dark and dreary and would make me feel bad about myself and about my life.

 It didn't come easy, I had to practice at pushing the bad thoughts out. I became really determined not to have those bad thoughts. 
Now I did have good reasons to feel bad but I didn't need to let it consume (drain, takeover, devour) my life and so I kept thinking about those things that made me feel good and in no time my depression was gone and I could once again be happy.


This is a lesson that I often go back to when things get bad. I thought I'd share it with you in hopes that if you got into depression you could read this and I hope that it would help you. 

Question: Do I always have to have positive thoughts?  No there are times when you will feel miserable, life is life and those things will happen and that is ok, have your pity party you probably deserve it but don't stay there, as soon as it starts getting annoying to you and everyone around you, focus on your good thoughts again. 



The bible - Philippians 4:8 New International Version (NIV)

Finally, brothers and sisters,
whatever is true, 
whatever is noble,
whatever is right,
whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, 
whatever is admirable
if anything is excellent or praiseworthy
—think about such things.







Keep your thoughts positive as much as possible!!! xox

2 comments:

  1. I Loved reading your Blog!Keep it going.Wish I Was that good with Words.You Should write a book Lee Anne.Looking forward to seeing more in your Blog!!And Your Right People underestimate another's pain,Misery and depression.Many hold it in feel ashamed to let it out.15 years ago i went through a state of Depression,I turned for help,Many places out there today.Grateful for never looking back and seeing life through different light.I Take much interest in Gardening,thanks to internet where Quotes has consumed me.Always trying to think positive,never letting negativity through my door.Keep Blogging it works for you!!<3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for your kind words Anon!! It is a pleasure to write for my blog and to be helpful and useful to other people. I hope from my experiences and lessons that it can benefit someone else searching for answers.
    I am not sure I have the patience to write a whole book!! lol I have a short attention span when it comes to doing things but I am working on it. You could read "Inside my car accident" in my pages on the right hand side of my blog. It is a short story of a car accident I was in. Not for the sensitive though as it is pretty intense!! Thanks again and I am glad you will return to read more of my blog!! Keep positive as much as possible :)

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate all comments, Thanks for stopping by!!!